Our skin is the largest organ of our body and its vital function is to form an effective and protective barrier between us and the environment. The skin barrier forms part of the outermost layer of the skin known as the epidermis and works to keep external aggressors out while locking moisture. A healthy skin barrier equals a healthy, glowing complexion!
Get the quick info on how your skin barrier works and also how to take care of it!
What are the signs of a damaged skin barrier?
- Dryness: Tight feeling, flaking, peeling skin
- Inflammation: Red and itchy skin
- Sensitivity: stinging and hot skin
- Acne-prone: congestion, breakouts and excess oil
- Signs of premature ageing: Lines, wrinkles, age and sun spots
What can damage the skin barrier function?
- Harsh products such as high percentage actives that aren’t specially formulated (ours all are!)
- Over-cleansing or exfoliating
- Sun exposure
- Health conditions or medications
How can you repair and restore a healthy skin barrier?
- Exfoliate with AHAs to remove dry, dead skin cells and promote cell renewal and the production of moisture-binding hyaluronic acid. We love our must have AHA/BHA Resurfacing Peel. Reset your skin overnight with a blend of 5 natural AHAs, Alpha Hydroxy Acids (lactic, glycolic, citric, malic and tartaric acids) and BHA, Beta Hydroxy Acid.
- Hydrate with water and lipid-based moisturising ingredients. Look for hyaluronic acid, sodium hyaluronate and betaine. Ingredients that bind water and draw it into the skin. Look for ceramides and squalane, naturally occurring skin lipids, to seal in moisture and provide surface smoothness and firmness. Every skincare routine needs the Skinsmiths Ultimate Renewal Serum for the ultimate hydration boost - this plumping and lifting elixir is not just another hyaluronic serum.
How can you protect your skin barrier?
One of the most effective methods to take care of your skin is to protect it from oxidative damage caused by pollution and UV sun exposure. Antioxidants and polyphenols help to prevent skin damage caused by pollution and UV sun exposure, which are major contributors to poor skin barrier function and the visible signs of ageing.
It's not just our Daily Antioxidant Defence Sunscreen that works to protect and take care of your skin!
Every one of our Skinsmiths formulas features SauvigNZ™
Skin damage has met its match with the antioxidant power and protection of world-class New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc grapes. Harnessed by Skinsmiths. SauvigNZ™ is scientifically proven to help protect your skin and prevent the signs of ageing.